Tyler’s Camp, SummerCollab’s middle school academy, offers Delaware’s rising 4th through 8th graders a unique summer experience. Each Tyler’s Camp location targets a wide variety of students by providing arts, hands-on technology, and athletic options, alongside targeted literacy support. With this, students have the opportunity to see growth in their motivation, self-esteem, critical thinking, leadership and entrepreneurial skills. Tyler Camp sites have committed to facilitating high-quality literacy instruction to participating youth during the summer. The literacy instructor is crucial for helping close the summer learning gap.
Using your expertise, alongside of SummerCollab’s literacy resources, you will execute a small group literacy intervention program for students in grades 4-8 within hour blocks on a daily basis. Major responsibilities include:
- Plan and execute small group reading lessons based on student needs and provided curriculum
- Collect, review, and analyze data and overall progress of students.
- Assist with pre and post assessments of students in order to track progress throughout the summer
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
SummerCollab is seeking proactive problem solvers who have the desire and passion to help students reach their greatest potential. Candidates should have at least two years of experience teaching literacy and/or providing targeted literacy interventions to individuals and small groups of students. Literacy instructors must be organized, engaging, and flexible in order to meet the needs of a diverse group of learners.
- Attend and actively participate in all relevant training sessions in both the preseason and summer months
- Using the SummerCollab literacy curriculum, plan and execute highly engaging reading lessons for groups of no more than ten students at a given period
- Administer baseline assessments to all students at the start of camp in order to determine appropriate instructional strategies and growth goals
- Differentiate instruction for struggling students and utilize assigned counselor to support student progress
- Execute tracking system for student reading intervention progress
- Maintain a positive attitude, addressing student issues in an appropriate, professional manner
- Collaborate with other literacy instructors throughout the summer to devise action steps and discuss best teaching strategies